Reading = Better Social Skills

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are.  Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little."
- Anne Lamott

You are so right Anne Lamott.  That is exactly the reason why I write.  My friends can confirm that I read a lot and am inquisitive by nature.  Yet, I still feel like I have so much to learn.  And in spite of all my reading, I don't understand why I sometimes act as foolishly as I do.  This struggle for understanding isn't a new endeavor either.  We've been trying to find meaning since Aristotle.

I love reading but my friends never seem to get as excited about books as I do.  But we should all read and here's why.  Keith Oatley, a PhD professor of the Department of Human Development & Applied Psychology, held a survey and asked, "Do humans find that they are better able to understand and experience life through their reading, particularly by reading fiction?"

Results showed that readers "were better able to relate to their peers and to engage in social interaction."  Not only that but they demonstrated a higher level of "empathy, which was attributed to their increased understanding of human nature as found through their reading."1*

I imagine the world be a better place if we all read a little more.  Until then, at least there is sun over eden.

*I had a hard time believing this so I looked it up.  The findings are expanded upon here.
_______
Peters, Amy. The Writer's Devotional. New York: Sterling Publishing, 2012.
I can't figure out footnotes but I've cited the book above.  Can any of you help me with this?  Or is this sufficient?

No comments:

Post a Comment